Monday 28 September 2015

Work Diary - Multiple Flash

Evaluation

In this lesson, we worked as groups within the studio. Beforehand, the studio was set up so that we were able to take our own individual multiple flash images. Firstly, the camera needs to set up to the bulb setting with an aperture of F11 (depending on the lighting). The exposure of the camera depends on how long you want to hold the shot button down for. Whilst shooting the image, with the button pressed down, the photographer then has to set the flash off as many times as they would like during this time. This allows for the movement of the model to be captured in a single image. There are different kinds of lighting which can be used for this shoot, for instance either a soft box light, or a snoot light (which specifically directs the light to the person's face). As the groups in the class were quite big, we were only able to take a few images at a time, however I did manage to create a few photographs which definitely show movement. I enjoyed this shoot because it was organised, and the technique was new. This is a lighting diagram of the set up in the studio, I used two soft boxes:




This is the image which I am most proud of from this shoot, as it was the first time using this technique as well. To do this, I asked my model to move her arms up, incredibly slowly so that I was able to capture every stage. Whilst my model was doing this, I set off the flash as many times as I could during that time frame - and until the model's arms reached the top. I shot this photo twice, but in the first one, i didn't like the positioning of the arms, as I think my model moved too quickly - but also, the top of her arms were cut off when she reached the highest point, so the second time I had to lower the camera and make sure my model pointed her hands once she had reached the top.


I also really like this image, although it isn't one of the best, I like the dark to light transition from left to right. This gives the photo a sense of journey and mystery, as it appears that the model is dancing out from the dark into the light. I also really like that in the third shot the model's body is cut off, so that it looks like she is walking out of the frame. To do this image, I asked my model to spin along the length of the shoot, and set the flash off slowly. I really like that this image has captured three full images of the model.

Progression


If i were going to use this technique within my personal project, i would have to plan and create ideas about what i'm going to shoot beforehand, so that i knew which lights, how many flashes i needed to take within the shot, and how long i would need to hold the button down for. This is so i could shoot as quickly as possible and know what i'm doing. I would also like to learn how to set up the camera and studio so that i could do it for myself. As well as a studio shoot, i would like to try this technique in location so that i could capture people moving within a different setting, and naturally - which would fit more into my personal project.

No comments:

Post a Comment