Wednesday 14 October 2015

Work Diary - Blur

Evaluation 

For this blurring shoot my camera was set to ISO 200, F22 and a fast shutter speed from 1 - 4 seconds. I had to set the studio up in terms of lighting, and with a black backdrop, as well as set up my camera in terms of aperture, shutter speed and exposure. To begin with, I used one model and captured photographs of them running, jumping and spinning across the frame. Afterwards, I then used multiple models and just shot them as they were talking to each other - these photos are more natural as they are not staged like the one model photos were. I didn't tell the group how to move, I just shot the images as they were. This shoot was very successful and also very quick, which was efficient as I was able to upload and edit in the lesson as well. I enjoyed shooting blur as it was a different and new technique, and it was also interesting to see the difference from slow-sync flash. I think this technique would be useful for shooting moving transport or animals, as it would capture their natural movement. Here is a diagram of the set up, indicating that I used one soft box light, where my model was standing and that they were moving:




This is one of the first images whilst using one model, I like that the backdrop is completely black as it makes the model stand out more, as well as their blur from their movement. In this shot, I asked the model to walk across the frame, and my camera was set to a 2 second shutter speed. This enables me to capture the models full figure to begin with, as well as their blur when they moved across the shot. In this photo we can see a continuous blur from the models face and body and the colours have stayed the same throughout. 


This is one of the images I took when using multiple models. I shot these images without telling the models what to do, so it was a free, natural shot. I like that each model is blurred from a different body part, as well as the vibrant colours. I also like that because the models are different heights, and were stranding in different places, the photo also shows depth. The model closest to the camera looks as though he has four heads, which shows his movement whilst he was talking. I also like that the only part of the image that is completely in focus is the black background, every model is blurred completely. 

Progression


If I were going to use this technique during my project, I would use it during my street shoots, as it would allow me to capture natural movement within people as well as transport such as cars, trains, bicycles. Therefore, I would like to transfer the skills from this shoot into a location shoot as well, and see if blur works as well on location as it does in the studio. As these shoots are completely different, because in the studio there is a one-colour background, whereas on location, there will be a lot going on in the background as well as what is going on in the foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment