Wednesday 20 January 2016

Connecting Essay 1

My Image: 


Image I have found on the internet: 


The image I produced above was in my shoot titled 'Drowning'. Whereby I used water to depict the feelings of depression and anxiety, along with other mental illnesses. To do this, I asked my model to stand underneath a showerhead, and let the water drip down her face and smudge her makeup. This literally makes it look as though she is 'drowning' but I wanted this to portray the feelings of being immersed in thousands of emotions and thoughts, so the water is actually a metaphor for what suffering with mental illness feels like. I made this image black and white; as I thought colour was too bright considering the concept of the image is quite dark and depressing. 

The image I have found on the Internet is of a young girl with water dripping across her face. This is an extreme close-up shot as the camera is zoomed in right into the girls face. The girl herself, is looking in to the camera lens, despite that the water is dripping from her face and hair. I like this image because the water is evident and you can see the drips along her face, which almost look like tears. This image is also black and white, which links to the feelings of sadness, which also connects with the idea that the water is the models tears. 

These images are connected because they both portray similar messages of sadness. The photographer of the image from the Internet, and I have created dark, black and white images that explicitly tell a story about the model. The use of water is also very similar, as the other photographer and I have captured the water dripping down our models faces, as though both models are drowning. Despite the image from the Internet being more of a close-up than my own image, I believe I have captured the same sort of feeling throughout anyway. 



No comments:

Post a Comment