Wednesday 20 January 2016

Work Diary - Shoot 13: Underwater

Evaluation


For this shoot, I decided to continue with the use of water, but this time have a model lay in the bath, and be completely immersed in the water - which I assumed would then distort their face. For this shoot, my camera was set to 22F, ISO 200, and a shutter speed of 1/125. This idea is a follow up of Shoot 12 whereby I shot photos of a model in the shower, with water running down her face. I have enjoyed these two shoots because they portray the message of suffering very well, by emulating the feelings of drowning, frustration, and numbness. Most of the images in this shoot are black and white because this enhanced the emotion of the image, by making it more dark, depressing and scary. In some of the images the model is completely under the water, whereas in others their head is the only thing floating. I enjoyed shooting this because it is completely different to all my other shoots, particularly those at the beginning of this project, but it has also allowed me to explore and experiment with different types and techniques of portraiture. 


In this image the model is lying in the water, which is covering everything, apart from it is surrounding his face. The model is also looking directly into the camera, and because of this, as well as the black and white effect; this photo depicts a sad and emotional feeling, as the model looks drained and exhausted. This image could be seen as a visual representation of the symptoms of depression, as this image shows that the model is drowning, but is aware of it happening, but yet cannot do anything about it. 


In this image however, the model is completely under the water with his eyes shut tightly. From this, we can see that the model is holding their breath, but is slowly losing air as there are bubbles coming from his nose and mouth. I like this image because it shows that time is passing, and the model is losing air to breathe; yet he's still completely under the water. I also like that due to the black and white, it doesn't even look like the model is underwater, so that this could literally be how he is feeling normally - panicked, breathless and scared.


Progression


This is the final shoot to my project, and overall I think all my shoots were enjoyable and have produced the images that I wanted. I have enjoyed watching my progression from street photography, to portraiture, to emotional portraiture. As well as learning new skills in the camera and editing fields. 

2 comments:

  1. You are working with (fine art) concepts and to this extent you are developing your photographic approach where the portrait is evoking a range of connotations relating to e.g. birth/ rebirth and survival/death… Your transformation of the image as black and white works… You need to detail the camera settings used and how that contributed top the success of this shoot i.e. shutter speed, iso and aperture..

    ReplyDelete