Tuesday 12 January 2016

Work Diary - Shoot 8: Emotion Portraiture

Evaluation 


This shoot was a follow-up of my previous shoot, but I wanted to try it without the gel lighting. Therefore, this time I used dark and bright lighting to depict the mood that I wanted my photos to express. My camera was set to ISO 250, 11F and a shutter speed of 1/125 and I used a soft box light. For instance, I used dark lighting for sadness, and high key lighting for happiness. I also used a black background for the dark images, and a white background for the bright images - which will also add to the mood. I enjoyed this shoot very much, as I think the photos came out exactly as planned. In this shoot, I used two soft boxes pointing towards the front of the model, and adjusted the brightness depending on the mood of that particular image. I like the concept of using my photos to represent a message, whether it is explicit or implicit. I think the message of these images are very vague and unidentified, but there is substance to what the image could be about. Whereas, for my next shoot I plan to shoot images which express a clear, and obvious message instead, to show a comparison of the two methods. I used this particular set up and lighting because I wanted to express sadness with soft, but dark lighting, whereas in the 'happy' photos, I used direct, and bright lighting to express that feeling. This is a lighting diagram of this shoot:




This is one of the sad/depressing shots I took. For this, used a black backdrop, and positioned my camera to the right so that the model was placed in the left hand corner. I then allowed enough 'dark space', which will reflect the sad, and lonely emotion of the image, and I also asked my model to look down so that they looked upset. I made the left hand side soft box much brighter than the right hand soft box, so that I could create the shadow on the right side of my model, which would blend in to the  'dark space' that I created. I then used Photoshop to enhance this affect. I believe this photo expresses a depressing and alone emotion for the viewers, and I have done this using lighting and placement. 



This is one of the happy photos that I took. For this image, I used a white backdrop, and extremely bright lighting so that the whole area around the model, and onto the model was bright and well lit. I then asked my model to smile, and also made them smile naturally so I could capture their natural happiness without it looking staged. Despite there being a lot of empty space on the left hand side of the image, I think this adds to the image as the model is looking towards the left and despite the emptiness he is still smiling and happy. I also used Photoshop to enhance the contrast and shadows of the image. Overall, I enjoyed shooting both 'moods' and I believe the happy photos came out a lot better with normal high key lighting, rather than with the gels. 

Progression 


As mentioned before, I plan to portray a lot more message within my images, and as I have done with this shoot, focusing on emotions, I have decided to move onto more explicit and obvious messages, with the inspiration of Gillian Wearing's "Signs That Say What You Want Them To Say" project. In order to do this, I plan to use signs as well, with clear, outlined messages written on them - like Wearing does in this series. 

1 comment:

  1. A lighting diagram required here, an explanation of the type of lighting used is required e.g. soft box. whilst you have mentioned this within the blog you need to show more explanation e.g. the reason why it was used... Link this with an explanation of diffuse versus direct lighting, did you use a reflector board.. If you had a lighting diagram it would be clear. What was the light meter reading used? did you measure it? what camera setting did you use... ?

    ReplyDelete