Wednesday 20 January 2016

Connecting Essay 4

My Image: 


Image I have found on the Internet: 


My image above was created for my Mental Illness shoot. To do this, I shot multiple self-portraits of myself pulling my face in odd directions. Within Photoshop, I then layered these images on top of each other, and lowered the opacity of each one (except the background image) so that all the images could be seen. This has created a shocking, and quite disturbing image as the final photo shows myself pulling my eyelids and lips in various directions all at once, which makes my face look extremely strange. I also made this photo black and white to add to the creepiness. I enjoyed creating this photo, and the concept behind it was to show the feeling of being trapped and pulled apart, like somebody suffering with one or more mental illnesses. 

The image I have found on the Internet is a portrait of a man, looking wide-eyed, directly at the camera, with six different hands grabbing different parts of his face. This photo is very dark and spooky, because of the black and white effect, but also because the hands are sinking in to the mans skin and mouth. This photo is incredibly creepy because despite the man being pulled apart, he is still looking directly in to the camera. Also, the image is obviously extraordinary as there are six hands, so it could be seen that the man himself has six hands, each pulling at his mind. 

These images link because they are both black and white, and both show hands pulling at somebodies face. The image that I have created was actually influenced by the image that I found on the Internet, as I wanted to recreate the concept but using transparency through Photoshop. I like the idea of multiple hands pulling at different parts of your face, because both images could be seen that the individual themselves are pulling apart their own minds, trying to get out. This idea was linked to my mental illness shoot as I wanted to express the feelings of suffering from different mental illnesses, one feeling being frustration and multiple thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment