Wednesday 20 January 2016

Work Diary - Shoot 6: Harlow

Evaluation

For this shoot, I decided to continue to with the Location/Street photography concept, however I want to begin focusing on portraiture. My camera was set to ISO 200, 22F and 1/125 shutter speed, and in this shoot I have focused on taking more portrait images within a Location setting such as in shops, in the street, with different backgrounds etc. I liked this shoot a lot because there was a main focus for all the images I was taking, and although I used the same model throughout the shoot, each photo is different and interesting in it's own way. I believe this will begin a new direction of portraiture within my project, as I would like to experiment with different types of portraiture - for instance, in the studio and using different editing techniques. I think this will give my project more chances to explore, and will relate to more of the photographers I have researched a lot more. 


This is one of the photos that I took during this shoot, and I really like the way it turned out. Firstly, instead of a normal 'brick wall background' image, this one has a white frame in the center of the wall, which essentially has framed the model. Because of this, I have positioned my model in the center as well, to emulate a 'picture within a picture' style to the photo. Whilst editing I made sure all the lines were straight and that the model and frame were perfectly in the center to ensure that all the attention is drawn to the model. 


This is one of my favourite images from the shoot, because of the depth and contrast. For example, I like that the road narrows the further to the background, which also indicates that the model is walking away from the camera. Also, I like that the model looks almost like a black silhouette in the image, whilst everything else is brighter. The attention is drawn to the model because he is in the center of the road. I chose to have the model walking away from the camera, rather than walking towards it as it adds a mysterious and dramatic emotion to the image. 

Progression 


For my next shoot, I plan to focus more on portraiture alone. To do this, I am going to shoot in the studio, and experiment with different lighting techniques. As the image above provokes a certain emotion, I want to continue with this idea of expressing feelings through photographs, so my next shoot will be influenced by this. 

1 comment:

  1. A very good blog post.. I would ask you to review your posts and check for spelling/grammar for example the use of i rather than I… You also need to describe your photographic outcomes in terms of the camera settings used as this will impact on the depth of field, blur, noise… depending on the camera settings used. best regards,


    James…

    ReplyDelete